Before Hiring an Estate Planning Attorney, Understand The Difference
Many estate planning attorneys take a “one-size-fits-all” approach with their clients. They do this so that they can work with as many people as possible in a short period of time.
The problem is that the client has an impersonal experience, and worse than that, this way of planning can lead to unintended results in the long run for the family.
Consequences When Attorneys Don’t Listen
When lawyers do not take the time to listen and consider your personal circumstances, the result is that your estate plan (typically not really a “plan” but simply a set of documents) does not end up reflecting what you and your family really want to happen or might think will happen.
And usually there is no regular plan review or updating that your attorney is doing for you, so your plan quickly becomes outdated and does not work when your family needs it most.
Even though you may pay less up front to get a standard set of documents (even if the documents might feel customized for your family), things end up much more expensive in the long run.
Plus, you leave your family at risk of having to deal with an expensive, unnecessary and public court process during a time of grief.
Your Family Matters Law is right for you if you want to know that your plan will actually work when you and your loved ones need it the most.
If all you want is a set of legal documents, there are plenty of online resources you can use to create them or you can go to a traditional estate planning lawyer.
If what you want is to know you have a plan in place that will work when your family needs it, will keep the people you love out of court and out of conflict, and will keep your assets out of the hands of the government, then we might be the right fit for you.
Here Are Some Of The Ways We Are Different From Most Other Estate Planning Lawyers
- All of our fees are fixed fees agreed to in advance. At our initial meeting, you will choose the level of planning and fee that works best for your family, so there will never be any surprises.
- We keep you informed and make sure your plan works when it is needed. We do not just prepare a set of legal documents for you and send you on your way. We make sure your assets are owned in the right way, we make sure your children’s well-being is properly planned for, and we ensure everyone you have named in your plan knows what to do if anything happens to you.
- We review your plan at least every three years for all clients, and annually through our Family Wealth VIP Membership Program. We foster a lifetime, ongoing relationship with our clients. Throughout your life, things change: you change, your assets change, your family changes, and the law will definitely change. When planning with us, your plan will keep up with those changes.
- We have a process for helping you make sure that your assets are titled in the right way, both now and over your lifetime, to make the planning process incredibly easy and painless for you and your family.
- We help you get your legal and financial house in order by helping you make smart choices about things like buying insurance, saving for college, and planning for retirement so you never spend more than you have to or get taken advantage of by unscrupulous salespeople.
- We have been specially trained as a Personal Family Lawyer® to plan for your life and death and to ensure that if you have minor children, they are never raised by anyone you wouldn’t want or taken into the care of strangers. And if your children are adults, we help you weave them into your estate plan with care and forethought that most other lawyers simply do not have the training or inclination to do.
- We specialize in legacy planning because it’s about a lot more than money. We believe that planning is about much more than just the transfer of your financial wealth. For each client, we walk you through a process to help you transfer your most important personal wealth to your loved ones, including your intellectual, spiritual, and human assets – who you are and what’s important to you.
Before you engage an estate planning lawyer to help you plan for the well-being of your family and loved ones, there are questions you need to ask. You need to ensure that the estate plan you put in place will really work when your family needs it and won’t end up just a pile of worthless paper after you are gone.
Do not let a set of legal documents become false security that keeps you from doing what’s best for your loved ones.
Disclaimer: The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, contact us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. Legal Notice: The material contained in this website has been prepared by Soshnikova Law Group, P.A. for informational purposes only. It is not intended for and should not be construed as legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute, a lawyer-client relationship. Internet subscribers and online readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel. Do not send information to the firm until you speak with an attorney and receive authorization to send information to us.